Just recently I have heard Brooke say with enthusiasm as I held her - "I have a Mommy!" or when Dennis was holding her "I have a Daddy!" Ah, the wait was so worth it. Tonight she goes to bed knowing we are her family.
How many more kids go to bed tonight hoping someday to have a Mommy and Daddy? How many of us could fill that longing in their heart? Is it easy - not always. Is it expensive - often it is. Is the process overwhelming - yep it sure it. Is it God's call to those of us who follow Him - it is indeed. Are you called to adopt - maybe or maybe to help in other ways. Here are some ways to do that:
- Honestly ask God what your roll is in caring for the orphans around the world.
- Adopt if you feel God is leading even if it seem overwhelming and scary.
- Pray for people you know who are in the process of adopting.
- Ask specifically how you can pray at any given time for adopting families. Even after they have their child they still need prayers. Sometimes settling in is the hardest time in an adoptive families journey.
- Give - adoption is expensive. Can you help a family? Even a small donation means a lot.
- Throw an adoption shower. Even if the new child is not a baby, your help in celebrating this addition to the family will be a blessing.
- Adopting children who have been raised without the normal love of a family can be very hard and requires unique parenting skills. Don't criticize how adoptive parents are parenting. Most likely they have had a lot of experts help them with the skills they will need that are unique to these kids.
- Bring a meal when the family gets home.
- Sponsor a child. There are many great agencies who work with orphans providing love and medical care.
Is there a role God has for you in the life of an orphan?