I am learning new life lessons all the time but here are some of the highlights.
- I’m learning to slow down and live in the moment.
- I’m learning most things in life can wait. This includes reading email, surfing the net or placing phone calls.
- I’m learning that there is no such thing as a “quick errand” when you have a seven year old with you.
- I’m learning that it is more important to listen to stories or fears in limited English than almost anything that is attempting to grab my attention.
- I’m learning that long hair, pretty bows, ruffles and all things girly are what can make or break a day. (This is news to a tomboy mom.)
- I’m learning scary things can hide in closets but having a dog in the room or tying the closet door shut can help keep them at bay.
- I’m learning a bike ride or trip to the park is far more rewarding than a clutter free kitchen at the end of the day.
- I’m learning dogs can eat crayons with no side-effects.
- I’m learning that you can listen to the same children’s CD everyday on your commute and survive. (Keep in mind our commute is 45 minutes one way! I no longer have clue about what is going on in the world as talk radio is a thing of the past.)
- I’m learning it can take months to read a single book. (To be honest, I haven’t read a whole book since Brooke came into our lives.)
- I’m learning you can never reassure an adopted child too many times that you are there to stay and won’t be leaving her.
- I’m learning that love needs no words.
- I’m learning how an incredible teacher can love a child and help her learn about Christ.
- I’m learning that the gospel of Christ can be planted in the heart of a child even before their language is fully developed.
- I’m learning to be thankful for the little things in life as I hear our daughter pray and thank God for them.
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)